Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Its beginning to look.... smell... a lot like Christmas






Ronnie and I decorated our house for Christmas Monday night. This was quite an adventure for the two of us. Being newlyweds, we are stil learning that there are somethings that we always thought the Christmas fairy... or Santa... did for us! For example, did you know, that Christmas ornaments don't come with HOOKS? You have to go buy those yourself! This discovery led to a 9:00pm trip to our favorite place to spend too much $$ - Wal-Mart. Then, you have to decide, do you want big green hooks? big silver hooks? or little gold hooks? I am sure there were more options, but since I am not a very good decision maker, I decided that three choices were PLENTY for me!

We returned to the house - when I walked in I was OVERWHELMED with the smell of Christmas. Now, I would love to tell you that this is because the wonderful real tree in our living room, however, we have a wonderful fake one... (it was a GREAT deal though!) The smell came from the "Yankee Candle" Christmas Wreath smell tarts that were burning in the living room... and the kitchen... and the bathroom... Did you know your nose can ACTUALLY BURN from the smell of those things? Our house may smell like this for MONTHS! I think my sense of smell has been damaged because of these candles. I LOVE the smell - it reminds me of Christmas as a child, but WHOA, NEVER burn three of those in a small house with only 5 rooms in the whole house!

In the end, our tree looks BEAUTIFUL! At one point I thought we would have the most pitiful looking tree and stuff in the area, but thanks to my family helping us to get some extra lights and giving me my decorations from their tree... and the leftover gift cards from the wedding that we saved so we could get some decorations, I would venture to say we have one of the prettiest trees in the area! (Not that I am biased or anything). We had a blast decorating, even with the moments of realization that came to us. We have a wreath over the mantle and one of my grandparents' nativity scenes on the mantle as well. There are other small decorations throughout the house - but I am so happy with the living room. I love my little house!

5 comments:

Tricia said...

Hey Julia
We decorated last night, and I have to say it is even more fun with little ones around! They were fascinated by absolutely everything and wanted to know where I got it or who gave it to us, they love asking questions. Enjoy this time in your marriage, take lots of pictures and journal so you will always have these memories!

DeeDee said...

Hey...send (or post) some pictures... We want to see
Love you
MOM

Jessie said...

Sounds like y'all had lots of fun. We did ours Sunday night, and the boys loved it. Between two boys and a pup, we didn't have much time to take pictures, though! Can't wait to see yours! (BTW, I burned two "Clean Cotton" tarts at once a couple of years ago. I could smell it in my nose for days!!)

Anonymous said...

Hey! It looks really cute! Wish I could see it in person! But, the pics look awesome! Hope everything's well in VA! Talk to you soon! Love you and Ronnie too! -Samantha

Unknown said...

WAIT A MIN!!!!!! I can't tell if you have any colored lights on that tree!! i need you to clarify!! if not WHY NOT?!?!?!?!?!
But it does look beautiful