Monday, April 21, 2008

Flashback

I am not sure that anyone from my college days actually reads my blog - but as I am sitting here preparing for my class tomorrow night - where I will be discussing everything from Bach, to Mozart, to the way Beethoven developed the sonata and broke all the rules and all that jazz - I am flashing back to days at the good ole University of Montevallo, the days spent just listening to these sonatas, symphonies, and concerti while trying to make up some words to them so that when I got into the listening quiz I would remember which one belonged to which composer... the days sitting on the loading dock of the Music building, taking a practice break and standing there with my smoking friends - I never smoked, but those days carried enough second hand smoke to make anyone's lungs turn black. We discussed a bit of everything sitting on that loading dock. I loved the spring time when I could just sit there for a while, after spending hours in a clostrophobic practice room, and for just a moment, close my eyes and let the sun hit my face in the afternoon.
I remember half my music classes being taught by Dr. Bean... oh what would us Pedagogy students have done without him... and who can begin to say enough good about Dr. Rob - my favorite professor of all time - that man was not only a genius when it came to music, he also put a passion for music into each of us. Just watching him as he listened to music, or having a conversation in his office - it meant the world to me. I remember once, when I was struggling with coming up with information about a particular piece of music I had chosen for a Piano Literature class - I had to do a 50 minute presentation on it, and I couldn';t even find a recording. It had only been recorded once in history, and the CDs costed a ridiculous amount of money. I sat down with Dr. Rob (it wasn't even his class) and by the end of the conversation, he had given me his copy of the CD to use in my preparation, as well as a stack of books about that composer and that particular piece - books that weren't in the library! I got an A on that project and went directly to him to thank him!
Being a small school, and small music program, all the profs knew us by name, by face - and as much as it frustrated us all at the time, they knew when we missed their class - Some would call us, some would come downstairs to the "practice dungeon" to make sure all was well - regardless, if we didnt want them to know we had intentionally skipped their class, we better not be in that building at all that day!

All this just to reminisce for a little while - while I don't miss the days of the exams, the stress of presentations, the nightmares I still have about keyboard harmony class... (yes, I still wake up panicked at times because i dream i am late) - I do remember sitting one day in a theory class and realizing that I was living a dream - I had dreamed of studying music... and there i was, with tons of lines and spaces, dots and flags in front of me. I was studying music... sometimes it seemed like more music than I ever wanted... but I was doing it...

Anyway, on this rainy afternoon, what is it that you remember from 8-10 years ago that maybe you miss... or maybe you don't - but what is it that certain smells, sounds, and thoughts take you back to?

7 comments:

Crystal Watford said...

Remember the time you were doing your conducting test with the wind ensemble and the gong broke?

Anonymous said...

Well, about 8-10 years ago, I was 5, that was when I started taking piano...so yea! Just thought that I would leave you a comment with my thought! lol! Can't wait to see you this weekend! See ya! -Sam

P.S. Remind me to tell you about my college plans this weekend!

DeeDee said...

well.....
I remember going with you to the church at night.... for you to practice. I spent many hours counting the measures of your music as you played...
And when I got cold...I used the heavy piano cover as a blanket.... and laid on the front pew.
Sometimes your beautiful music would put me to sleep (there on the front pew) and you would wake me when it was time to go home.

I can't say that I miss the long nights... but I do miss hearing you play... and spending the time with you.

Precious memories!
I love you Julia!

brantley said...

You know what I remember about Montevallo.......those stupid brick roads! I hated those roads, espcially on pin day when I had to wear heals. I'm surprised I never fell and broke my neck. LOL

Unknown said...

I remember trying to agrevate you and holding one of your fingers up while you practiced, BUT NOOOOOO you had to go and think it was a good idea because it "MADE YOU THINK ABOUT THE MUSIC" Ruined all my fun! I also remember riding bikes with you to montevallo. That was a long ride but worth it. we spent all day together that day. I miss the good ol' days. But of course with you being old now you have ALOT more good ol' days than I do!
Love ya sis,
Jonathan

Julia said...

Leigh710 - - YES I remember that... but hadn;t thought about it in FOREVER!
Sam - I don't think I knew ya yet then!!

Mom - - HAHA... that piano cover!! you had to count so many measures for me - I can never repay you...

Brantley - I tripped more than I want to admit too...

Jon - bwahahahaha (evil laughter) I love spoiling ur fun.. hehehe...
and i miss those bike rides too!

Cherith said...

Hey Julia, I found your blog for the first time today...and yes, I remember Dr. Rob and Dr. Bean's classes...I remember RACING across campus to get in before Dr. Bean locked the door in our music history classes! 8am seemed so killer back then and now I can't understand why my students are tardy to class. :) Dr. Rob...wasn't he the best? And still is - every time I see him around, he calls me by name and we chat about those days...how many students must he have taught and I bet he remembers the names of most. Well, thanks for the memory trip! - Cherith